I’ve talked about coconut oil and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) in a handful of episodes today but I wanted to take a broader look at the very diverse and powerful benefits of coconut oil. I’ve previously focused on the benefits of coconut oil as it relates to energy and weight loss but it’s so much more than that! Today we’re diving into cholesterol, antibacterial properties, hormones and more!
8 Powerful Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Blood sugar control – how coconut oil improves insulin sensitivity
- Hormone balance – the impact of coconut oil on thyroid health
- Weight loss – coconut oil and accelerating fat loss
- Cholesterol – coconut oil increases HDL
- Energy – boosting energy and metabolism via coconut oil
- Hair & skin health – of course, right?!
- Immunity – coconut as antibacterial and antiviral
- Satiety – coconut oil keeps you fuller for longer on less!
Buying Coconut Oil
- You can buy coconut oil or you can buy pure MCT oil
- The fat in coconut oil is about 80% MCTs
- Opt for virgin coconut oil when buying coconut oil (as opposed to MCT oil) to avoid bleached, deodorized or heat damaged products
- Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Now Foods MCT Oil
Ways to Consume Coconut Oil
- Bulletproof coffee
- Cooking oil
- Salad dressing
- Equal parts oil and vinegar of your choice (2 TBSP each)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Binding ingredient