Are protein bars healthy? What are the best protein bars for weight loss? In today’s episode we’re talking about things to consider before choosing a protein bar and figuring out whether or not they work for YOU. Many people make big mistakes with protein bars. They think they’re making a healthy choice but either they’re choosing a super unhealthy bar or they’re not realizing that even a “healthy” bar just doesn’t work for them!
Protein Bars for Weight Loss – A Buyers Guide
Before we dive into the good/bad/ugly of protein bars for weight loss, here are the issues I have with them in general:
- Using them as a snack but creating more of a meal when a meal isn’t needed
- Eating them when you aren’t hungry because you feel like it’s a “healthy” choice. (Healthy choice or not healthy choice isn’t the problem if you aren’t hungry!)
- Choosing bars that are glorified candy bars – junk ingredients, junk protein, lots of artificial ingredeints and often a TON of sugar
- Eating bars even when they are triggering cravings
First, let’s establish WHY you eat them and IF they work for you (or not). Take a few minute to answer the following questions:
- Am I using bars as a meal or a snack?
- Am I eating bars when I’m truly hungry or are they a distraction?
- When are you eating bars? (pre workout, post workout, breakfast)
- Do they satisfy your hunger? With 1 serving? (for many many people, they are a trigger)
- Do they increase or decrease your cravings?
- What is it you like about them:
In this episode we’ll talk about the factors you need to look at when choosing a bar, especially when your goal is weight loss. In addition to the above considerations, we’ll talk about:
- Artificial ingredients
- Unstable fats
Soy Story – What You Need to Know About Soy