I don’t know about you, but I grew up collecting plastic eggs full of candy on Easter. I’d eat my weight in chocolate eggs that, in my opinion, weren’t even very good. Easter was about candy. It’s high time we make some amazing adult Easter eggs! I’ve got you covered with bloody mary deviled eggs!
I have to thank my boyfriend for my burst of cooking creativity…I just wrapped up a 7-day water fast and he joined me for the last 3 days. He had never fasted before and didn’t love the experience. One afternoon I suggested he just eat – break the fast early. He refused. He said, “This is a challenge. It’s just not a fun challenge.”
Being the competitive human I am, I suggested we do a fun challenge after fast. We decided on a cooking contest: who could make the best paleo, primal or keto appetizer & entree. This is my submission.
Before I share the recipe, let me give you a couple tricks I picked up for peeling eggs and making deviled eggs. Some of you might have seen me share these tips on Instagram story video!
- Pierce a small hole in the wide end of the egg before you boil them. Like I showed in a video on my Instagram story, I actually use one of the sterile needles that comes with my blood sugar/ketone meter but you could use a push pin or safety pin.
- Soak the eggs in ice water for 10 minutes after you take them off the heat.
- Before you peel them, crack the shells all around and put back in the cool water for 10 minutes.
- After you’ve peeled them, cut a very thin slice off the long side (each side) of the egg before you cut down the middle. This will make sure your eggs sit flat and don’t roll.
Okee doke. The good part. The recipe.
Bloody Mary Deviled Eggs
- 8 hardboiled eggs, peeled and cut in half
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno – half diced, half cut in strips
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp bloody mary mix (I use the Stonewall Kitchen brand Peppadew Sriracha Blood Mary Mix)
Of course you can omit the jalapeno if you don’t want them to be spicy and you can use any brand of blood mary mix or, though it would be less flavorful, tomato juice.
- Cook your bacon until crispy. Set aside.
- Discard all but 1 tbsp of the bacon fat.
- Add garlic to the pan with bacon fat and cook for a couple minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove yolks from whites and place them in a bowl.
- Add two strips of bacon, finely chopped, plus cream cheese, apple cider vinegar, salt and bloody mary mix.
- Finely chop 1/2 of the jalapeno and add it to the filling mix.
- Use a piping bag or (as I did) a ziploc storage bag with the corner cut off to fill the whites.
- Break up the last slice of bacon into small pieces and use to garnish each egg
- Cut the other half of the jalapeno into thin strips and use to garnish each egg.
Enjoy the heck out of these guys and let me know what you think!
If you want to see & hear more of my meals & kitchen tips, make sure you’re following my Instagram stories!
If you decide to give Thrive Market a try, make sure to register through thrivemarket.com/primalpotential to save an extra 25% + get free shipping on your first order along with a free 30-day trial membership!