I think that most of us, weight problem or no weight problem, are overfed and undernourished. We focus on foods that deliver an imbalance of energy & nutrition. We get plenty of energy in the form of calories but we starve our bodies of the nutrients they need for both proper & optimal function.
Specifically, in this overfed and undernourished 2 part series, I want to talk about 5 nutrients I feel most of us aren’t getting enough of. I’ll dive into why they’re important and how we can get more.
Overfed and Undernourished Part 2
We have a tendency to rely on processed foods that deliver energy without nutrition (or with little nutrition). This leads to “malnutrition of affluence” or a situation of being overfed and undernourished.
We simply aren’t giving our bodies the raw materials they need to function optimally. This leads to:
- Chronic disease
Instead of looking at health & weight loss through the lens of restriction and deprivation, I’d encourage everyone to focus on equipping your body to function optimally so it creates a state of leanness, energy and vitality. When making food choices, ask yourself:
- Is this energy & nutrition or one without the other?
In this series, I want to focus on 5 things I feel we need more of. In part one, I talked about essential fatty acids & vitamin D.
In today’s episode of overfed and undernourished, I’ll be tackling B vitamins, probiotics and magnesium.
Specifically, we’ll look at:
- What they are
- What they do
- The problems related to deficiency
- How to consume more
- What increases our body’s need for these
Related to B vitamins, this episode addresses:
- How B vitamins help the body generate energy from food
- How energy & metabolism are impacted by B vitamin deficiency
- What is methylation & how does B vitamin status impact methylation?
- Signs of B vitamin deficiency
- Factors that deplete our B vitamin status
- Foods rich in B vitamins
- Challenges with mega dose B vitamin supplements
Related to magnesium, this episode addresses:
- What magnesium is and its function in the body
- Prevalence of deficiency
- Signs of deficiency
- Factors that deplete magnesium
- How magnesium impacts insulin
- How magnesium influences fat loss
- Why magnesium is required for energy generation
- Foods rich in magnesium
Related to probiotics, this episode addresses:
- What they are & why they are important
- The prevalence of bacteria in the human body
- Why bacterial balance significantly impacts health & fat loss
- Factors that disrupt our microbiome
- Factors that restore our microbiome
- Considerations for supplementation